How to Jumpstart a Car
If you’ve found yourself here, we’re sorry. It means you’re probably stuck around Culver City or Mar Vista with a dead battery. But it’s not a big deal! Follow this simple guide and you’ll quickly understand how to jump a car battery and how to use jumper cables, thanks to the MINI service team.
Steps for Jumping a Car Battery
- Find a friend with a good car battery, or ask someone else with a good battery nearby for help.
- Put the cars parallel so that the other vehicle’s front bumper is next to your front bumper. If that’s not possible based on the location of your vehicle and surrounding obstructions, you can put them head to head as well.
- Before you go any further, turn off both vehicles and make sure they’re in park or neutral with the parking brake engaged.
- Take out a set of jumper cables, and pop the hoods of both vehicles.
- Take one of the red clamps and put it on the positive (+/POS) terminal of your battery. If you don’t see the “positive” indicators, you can recognize it as the larger of the two battery terminals.
- Attach the other red clamp to the other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach one of the black clamps to the negative terminal of the other vehicle.
- Attach the other black clip on an unpainted metal surface on your car away from the battery.
- Start the engine on the other vehicle, and allow it to run for several minutes.
- Try to start your vehicle. If it doesn’t work right away, try again in a few minutes.
- If your car still won’t start, you may need a new battery.
Learn More Service Tips at MINI of Santa Monica
The certified MINI technicians at MINI of Santa Monica are here to help you out with all kinds of MINI maintenance and repair needs, including answers as to why your car is leaking and why your car is making strange noises. Get the answers to your MINI service questions, and bring your car in for professional MINI service to our dealership in Santa Monica. Still have questions for us? Feel free to get in touch!
Related Posts from MINI of Santa Monica
Many people use the terms sunroof and moonroof interchangeably, but did you know there is a difference between the two? While both can let in the fresh Mar Vista air and make the interior of your car feel more open and spacious, there are design differences. Find out how these two popular features differ with MINI of Santa Monica….
Are you ready for a new vehicle, but are left wondering, “What car should I buy?” At MINI of Santa Monica we can help you answer that question. Your car does more than take you around Los Angeles: it’s a reflection of your personality, taking care of your needs while exuding your distinctive style. You’re drawn to particular models, brands,…
The staff at MINI of Santa Monica is always happy to talk about the latest cars – and the latest places to eat! If you’re in the neighborhood, why not check out some of our favorite vegan restaurants in Culver City that are sure to satisfy any appetite? Featuring fresh ingredients and innovative flavors, you’ll…