How to Jumpstart a Car
If you’ve found yourself here, we’re sorry. It means you’re probably stuck around Culver City or Mar Vista with a dead battery. But it’s not a big deal! Follow this simple guide and you’ll quickly understand how to jump a car battery and how to use jumper cables, thanks to the MINI service team.
Steps for Jumping a Car Battery
- Find a friend with a good car battery, or ask someone else with a good battery nearby for help.
- Put the cars parallel so that the other vehicle’s front bumper is next to your front bumper. If that’s not possible based on the location of your vehicle and surrounding obstructions, you can put them head to head as well.
- Before you go any further, turn off both vehicles and make sure they’re in park or neutral with the parking brake engaged.
- Take out a set of jumper cables, and pop the hoods of both vehicles.
- Take one of the red clamps and put it on the positive (+/POS) terminal of your battery. If you don’t see the “positive” indicators, you can recognize it as the larger of the two battery terminals.
- Attach the other red clamp to the other vehicle’s positive terminal.
- Attach one of the black clamps to the negative terminal of the other vehicle.
- Attach the other black clip on an unpainted metal surface on your car away from the battery.
- Start the engine on the other vehicle, and allow it to run for several minutes.
- Try to start your vehicle. If it doesn’t work right away, try again in a few minutes.
- If your car still won’t start, you may need a new battery.
Learn More Service Tips at MINI of Santa Monica
The certified MINI technicians at MINI of Santa Monica are here to help you out with all kinds of MINI maintenance and repair needs, including answers as to why your car is leaking and why your car is making strange noises. Get the answers to your MINI service questions, and bring your car in for professional MINI service to our dealership in Santa Monica. Still have questions for us? Feel free to get in touch!
Related Posts from MINI of Santa Monica
Contact Us Here at Mini of Santa Monica, we take sustainability seriously. We don’t simply believe that our vehicles should be environmentally friendly. We believe that our dealership, serving drivers from Malibu to Beverly Hills and beyond, should be environmentally friendly too. From our opening through today, our dealership has cared deeply about the…
Exciting news is happening at MINI of Santa Monica located at 1402 Santa Monica Blvd in Santa Monica, California. This magnificent dealership has recently attained Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum status, the highest status attainable for a green building, from the US Green Building Council in Washington D.C. This honor has…
Many people use the terms sunroof and moonroof interchangeably, but did you know there is a difference between the two? While both can let in the fresh Mar Vista air and make the interior of your car feel more open and spacious, there are design differences. Find out how these two popular features differ with MINI of Santa Monica….